How to Register a Death

Who can register a death?

Usually, a relative of the person who has died will register the death. If no relatives are available, then the death can be registered by:

  • Anyone who was present at the death
  • The person who's taking responsibility for arranging the funeral (executor)

Where can I register a death?

If you'd like support with registering the death, yourlocal funeral director can help you. We can start making arrangements and give you advice before the death is formally registered.

Local Registrars Offices

Buxton Registration Office

Buxton Library
Kents Bank Road
SK17 9HW

Tel: 01629 535075

Glossop Registration Office

Municipal Buildings
Market Place
SK13 8PN

Tel: 01629 531503

Stockport Registration Office

Town Hall
John Street

Registration of deaths - Stockport Council

Tel: 0161 217 6007

Macclesfield Registration Office

Town Hall Extension
Market Place
SK10 1EA

Tel: 0300 123 5019

What information to give to the Registrar

A death must be registered in the district in which it occurs. However, if a death occurred in another district, a declaration can be attested at any register office and forwarded on to the relevant district which will issue all the necessary documents.

The following information is required:

  • full name and surname of the deceased
  • date and place of birth
  • occupation (even if retired)
  • usual address
  • in the case of a married person, the full name and date of birth of their spouse, and their occupation

You will need to bring a ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’. The doctor in medical attendance will issue this. If the death has been referred to HM Coroner, the Coroner’s officer will advise you what to do. If you're unsure, contact a registrar.

If you have the deceased’s medical card, please bring that with you when you attend at the register office. If you can't find it, the registrar will be able to continue the registration without the medical card.

It can be helpful to bring birth and marriage certificates relating to the deceased with you, but it's not essential.

If the deceased was in receipt of a pension from public funds, for example the civil service or HM Forces, please bring details with you.

What the Registrar will do

They will issue copies of the following free of charge:

  • a green Certificate for Burial or Cremation
  • a form or certificate to send to the Department of Work and Pensions benefits.
  • First copy of the official death certificate

How many copies of the death certificate will I need?

We usually advise purchasing 6 copies, while you are registering the death.  If you have to request a certified copy at a later date these will cost £11 each.

Tell Us Once Service

Tell Us Once is an optional and free service. You can report a death to many councils and government organisations all at once, to save you time.

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Passport Office
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • The local council
  • Veterans UK

When you attend to register the death, the registrar can provide you with a unique reference number. You can use this when you contact the Tell Us Once service, either online or by telephone.

If you can't contact the Tell Us Once service yourself, you could ask a family member, friend or your funeral director to help you.

The registrar will also provide you with the contact details for the Tell Us Once service or you can click here. What to do after someone dies: Tell Us Once - GOV.UK (